Why did God make you and all things?

Welcome to my journey of walking with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He has chosen a path for me filled with blessings, challenges and opportunities to trust Him above and beyond my imaginings. Here I hope to share much of what the Lord is teaching me as He works to refine me for His own Glory.

Monday, January 18, 2010

1 Thessalonians study, Part 2.

1 Thessalonians 2:1-20
1 For you yourselves know, brethren, that our coming to you was not in vain, 2 but after we had already suffered and been mistreated in Philippi, as you know, we had the boldness in our God to speak to you the gospel of God amid much opposition. 3 For our exhortation does not come from error or impurity or by way of deceit ; 4 but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who examines our hearts. 5 For we never *came with flattering speech, as you know, nor with a pretext for greed -God is witness - 6 nor did we seek glory from men, either from you or from others, even though as apostles of Christ we might have asserted *our authority. 7 But we proved to be gentle among *you, as a nursing mother tenderly cares for her own children. 8 Having so fond an affection for you, we were well-pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God but also our own lives, because you had become very dear to us. 9 For you recall, brethren, our labor and hardship, how working night and day so as not to be a burden to any of you, we proclaimed to you the gospel of God. 10 You are witnesses, and so is God, how devoutly and uprightly and blamelessly we behaved toward you believers ; 11 just as you know how we were exhorting and encouraging and imploring each one of you as a father would his own children, 12 so that you would walk in a manner worthy of the God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory. 13 For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe. 14 For you, brethren, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you also endured the same sufferings at the hands of your own countrymen, even as they did from the Jews, 15 who both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out. They are not pleasing to God, but hostile to all men, 16 hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved ; with the result that they always fill up the measure of their sins. But wrath has come upon them to the utmost. 17 But we, brethren, having been taken away from you for a short *while -in person, not in spirit -were all the more eager with great desire to see your face. 18 For we wanted to come to you-I, Paul, more *than once -and yet Satan hindered us. 19 For who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation ? Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming ? 20 For you are our glory and joy.

Paul: Our Parental Example

v. 1-3 review of Paul’s experience and courage in sharing the gospel in the midst of persecution.

v.4 What does God say about what He has done for us and how He has equipped us?

- approved us  (See Who Am I in Christ? at this link:) http://www.ficm.org/newsite/index.php?command=textwhoamiinchrist

- entrusted us with His gospel

The Result: We speak (the gospel) to please God, not men.

Consider/discuss: Where is my focus? Why do I speak?

v. 5-6 How should we speak? (to our children)

- without flattering speech - are we praising them or the work we see the Lord doing in them? Are we puffing them up or are we pointing them to Jesus?

- without a pretext for greed - are we motivated to train/teach our children for our own gain? Are we after making our own life more comfortable or working to make their lives fruitful?

- not seeking glory from men - are we focused on giving glory to the Lord through our work in our families, or are we seeking the praise, acceptance and validation of men? (i.e. evaluators, superintendants, parents, friends, etc.)

- not asserting our own authority - do we demand our children to respect our authority, or are we winning their respect by winning their hearts? Do I demand authority in my child's life or do I direct them to the Lord's commands to honor and obey?

Consider/discuss: Do I train so others are impressed or my children hear the gospel? Am I seeking my glory or the Lord’s?

v.7-11 How should we behave? (please note, Paul gave us an example of discipleship based on the roles he knew that mother's and father's played in the lives of their children. He took on these roles together in order to raise up these young believers. While there are distinctions in how fathers and mothers are required and naturally inclined toward working with their children, Paul is showing us that he took on all of these roles to affectively impact their lives. We are wise to pray for the ability to do the same.)

- As a nursing mother: gentle, tender, having a fond affection
   >pleased to impart the gospel
   >pleased to impart her own life - am I willing to be real, transparent, show my hopes and strengths as well as admit my failures? Is there any area of my life that I withhold from my family? Do I demand my "own time"?
   >laboring, enduring hardship, working night and day so as not to be a burden, in order to proclaim the gospel - labor and hardship cannot be escaped in motherhood. Yet, do we accept and serve our families so as not to be a burden, or are we counting the cost? Do I work with a heart of joy, so that my children will see the gospel lived out, or am I complaining and drawing attention to my "sacrifices"?

- As a father:

· devout, upright, blameless

· exhorting – to incite by words or advice; to advise or warn earnestly (parakaleo)

· encouraging – To inspire with courage, spirit, or hope; to animate; hearten; cheer on or up. (paramutheomai)

· imploring – To call upon, or for, in supplication; pray to, or for, earnestly; beseech, entreat. (marturomai)

Challenge: Make it a goal to see the distinction in these words and apply them in your daily training in your home.

Consider/discuss: What area of mothering is the Lord refining in me?

v. 12-20 WHY should we behave and speak in these ways?

So that our children will:

v.12 – walk in a manner worthy of God, into His kingdom and glory.

v. 13 – receive the word of God which they have heard from us, accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in them who believe.

v. 14-16 – become imitators of the church of God in Christ Jesus, willing to endure sufferings

v. 17-18 – create a desire to be together and keep relationships strong

v. 19-20 – (see v. 5-6) they would become our hope, joy and glory at the time of His coming.

Assignment for: Read 1 Thessalonians 3-4; pray 1Thes. 3:11-13 daily for your children.

2 comments:

  1. Tracy, this looks like a great study! I am planning on doing this, but it will more than likely be in the summer as right now I am involved in a intensive Bible study at my church. That ends in April though, so I am going to do your then. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

    I added your blog to my reader! I know I will glean much!

    April
    redheadmommy(from Momys)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, April! Let me know if you have any questions or would like to add your thoughts. I'm enjoying it so much and have a LONG way to grow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in. Please leave a note and share your thoughts.