Why did God make you and all things?

Welcome to my journey of walking with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He has chosen a path for me filled with blessings, challenges and opportunities to trust Him above and beyond my imaginings. Here I hope to share much of what the Lord is teaching me as He works to refine me for His own Glory.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Looking Back...Looking Ahead 2014

This past year was a life changing one, that's for sure! I didn't spend a lot of time here on this blog, since I decided to do the bulk of my journaling in my notebooks. I still enjoy that best, so I don't think I'll be here a whole lot in the coming year.

I have been challenged by some friends, though, to be thinking on resolutions for the coming year.  Honestly, I just don't really like to make those because I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure. I do, however, have some things I know I am going to be working on in the coming year.  Mostly, though, I really love reflecting back on the year in this format.  It causes me to see what the Lord has done in my life and what threads He is continuing to weave for the future. So, here goes my time of reflection!

In the Year 2013.....

I rejoiced...

> When my husband started his own public accounting firm working from our home
> When my mother came to visit for 10 days!
> When my precious, oldest daughter hit that amazing milestone of Sweet Sixteen.
> When I completed a difficult yet profoundly life-changing 21 day Daniel Fast with my family
> When I watched my husband shrink away about 80 pounds worth of weight in less than 6 months!
>  When I said good bye to 50 pounds worth of weight in a little over 6 months and finding healing for my physical body and sinful habits regarding food.
>  When I watched our family work hard to split, load, stack several cords of wood provided to us by the Lord through his people.
>  When the Lord continued to provide for our needs through sending work, gifts from brothers and sisters in Christ, and the hard work of my husband's hands.
> When I watched my four oldest children perform on stage for the first time in The Scarlet Pimpernel.
> When I sent my oldest daughter off to her first day of work away from home.
> When I began making many new friends who have greatly supported me in my new journey of eating a plant-based diet.
> When we enjoyed a wonderful Christmas Eve with David's family.

I grieved....

> When I struggled for months with depression, blood sugar struggles, sleep deprivation, and a sense of hopelessness over my physical and mental health.
> When my husband and I struggled through the reality of dealing with his ADHD and learning how we both need to work well with the unique way the Lord has made him and me.
> When my husband was fired from the accounting firm he was working at this past spring.
> When we realized it was time to leave our long-distance church family in search of another local body to grow with.
> When we've had to make difficult choices and sacrifices to live within our means.
> When I went through a painful week of detox, realizing just how my sin had affected my physical, mental, and emotional life, including my poor family.

I learned...

> That I really was the source of most of my struggles. Sin has a deeper hold than I imagined.
> That my children are amazingly supportive and willing and able to change.
> That a plant-based lifestyle will bring healing AND a level of communion with the Lord I never could have known.  Only the Lord could have convinced me of that truth.
> That trying new things, even if just for a short time, can literally change your life.
> That the Lord speaks through His word, as He promises.
> That my husband is an amazing man of strength and determination. I can, should, and do trust him.
> That my husband is incredibly handsome as a skinny guy!!
> That I really DO like vegetables! Even Brussels sprouts!

I pray...

> That I would find God's specific direction for our educational pursuits just as I have with our nutritional and health needs.
> That I would be the support and encouragement my husband needs during this difficult time of starting a new business.
> That the Lord would greatly bless the work of David's hands, causing him to be fruitful for His glory in all that he strives for.
> That we would have a profitable tax season so that David can continue as self-employed and our needs would be met outside of government resources.
> That we would find a church home where we can serve, grow, and see our children blossom under Truth.
> That I would grow closer with my children. My oldest three in particular, healing from hurts and tying strong heart strings.
> That I would be faithful to the Lord's priorities in my life and willing to set aside my own.
> That I would completely heal, physically, by making it to my goal weight through building a life filled with the best of the Lord's provision and actively using my body to serve Him well.
> That I would be a blessing and support to others looking for help in their journey to health and healing.
> That the Lord would make a way for my family and I to visit my friends and relatives in the Midwest this year.

I resolve... *big breath*

> To establish a strong morning routine that will start my day strong.
> To lose another 50 pounds by our wedding anniversary in June.
> To establish a daily routine that prioritizes activity and exercise for myself and our family.
> To set aside time to seek the Lord's direction for our children's education plans.
> To pray scripture daily for my children and husband.
> To make this the Year of the Boy.  I will change my tone, face, and actions toward my boys so that I can know them better and love them rightly. I will pursue them with grace, truth, and love.
> To revise and keep up my blogs as a way to help myself through creative outlet and others through the information I share.
> To make reading aloud the highest priority with my younger students.
> To develop and follow a discipleship plan for my older children.
> To establish and follow boundaries regarding my social time on the computer so that I am fully available to my family and their needs, setting the example they need of a godly wife and mother.
> To make writing real letters a weekly habit in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in. Please leave a note and share your thoughts.